Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming soon to Virgin TV 2014

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming soon to Virgin TV 2014
Closed Thread

Old 15-04-2014, 17:53   #2086
Media Boy UK
My post info may change

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coming soon to Virgin TV 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well according to Broadcast who are usually right the deal has been done but one must hope the regulatory bodies step in as there is no way in my opinion that BSkyB should have stakes in both ITV and C5 who are both UK commercial terrestrial broadcasters.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/b...&contentID=870
Broadcast DO post the information right about 98% of the time but until Channel 5 or Discovery confirm the story I will not post the story on my blog as I see the broadcast story as an rumour.

Broadcast did say last year that an well known Sky Basic Channel was coming to Virgin Media.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Advertisement
Old 15-04-2014, 18:12   #2087
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
ITN worker confirmed that ''Certainly no deal has been done” on the sale of Channel 5.

https://twitter.com/TimGattITV/statu...59657329852417
That tweet is from 6.21am. I believe the Broadcast news item was from this afternoon. So both sources can be correct, the Broadcast one being more recent...

---------- Post added at 18:07 ---------- Previous post was at 18:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well according to Broadcast who are usually right the deal has been done but one must hope the regulatory bodies step in as there is no way in my opinion that BSkyB should have stakes in both ITV and C5 who are both UK commercial terrestrial broadcasters.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/b...&contentID=870
I don't think Sky will have a stake in Channel 5's channels, it will just acquire Channel 5's advertising division whilst Discovery takes the channels.

---------- Post added at 18:12 ---------- Previous post was at 18:07 ----------

Quote:
Broadcast did say last year that an well known Sky Basic Channel was coming to Virgin Media.
In fairness to the magazine, Broadcast was less definite than this. It said "The prospect of Sky Atlantic becoming available to Virgin Media’s 3.8 million TV subscribers has moved closer after it emerged that talks between the two companies have reopened."
http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/b...057814.article
Old 15-04-2014, 18:14   #2088
Media Boy UK
My post info may change

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
That tweet is from 6.21am. I believe the Broadcast news item was from this afternoon. So both sources can be correct, the Broadcast one being more recent...
Tim Gatt Twitter Home page says the Channel 5 post was posted four hours ago (as of 18:13) - 4th one down (As of 18:12)

https://twitter.com/TimGattITV
Old 15-04-2014, 18:48   #2089
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Red face Re: Coming soon to Virgin TV 2014

Quote:
Nope Three - you forgot about Newtel Solutions for Jersey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtel_Solutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
True, although as they've never been mentioned on here before, you can forgive me not doing so either
Never heard of this company, so did a bit of research. It looks like they only supply telephone and broadband. They appear to have stopped providing TV around the point of digital switchover in 2010.

Digital TV in Jersey now looks to be provided by Sky and Freeview piped into peoples homes. This looks to have been paid for by the housing authorities, with a £1 a week payment for one year being contributed by residents. If they want to view Sky pay channels, they have to pay Sky directly. This is received by a central dish and then piped into the property of the subscriber, so in a way it could be viewed as cable TV provided by Sky!

One customer describes Newtel as "chancers" and their website has for some time had very limited functionality due to being "under development".

http://www.newtel.je shows their prices for telephone and broadband. How do these compare to VM?

Overall, it seems a very bizarre situation to me!
Old 15-04-2014, 19:09   #2090
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Never heard of this company, so did a bit of research. It looks like they only supply telephone and broadband. They appear to have stopped providing TV around the point of digital switchover in 2010.

Digital TV in Jersey now looks to be provided by Sky and Freeview piped into peoples homes. This looks to have been paid for by the housing authorities, with a £1 a week payment for one year being contributed by residents. If they want to view Sky pay channels, they have to pay Sky directly. This is received by a central dish and then piped into the property of the subscriber, so in a way it could be viewed as cable TV provided by Sky!

One customer describes Newtel as "chancers" and their website has for some time had very limited functionality due to being "under development".

http://www.newtel.je shows their prices for telephone and broadband. How do these compare to VM?

Overall, it seems a very bizarre situation to me!
I just don't think they've had the resources to invest in their infrastructure.
The pricing's hard to decipher as there is a lack of clarity over how you get a landline. Certainly, 20 MB at £49pm and a router for £45 is no bargain!
What is bizarre is that every speed is labelled "our fastest broadband" even 2MB! The overall impression is of an ADSL broadband provider, not that of a cable company.
Old 15-04-2014, 19:42   #2091
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
I genuinely do not wish to sound condescending, and I guess you would have already out the option, but you could always listen to some of the many excellent DAB radio stations available in this country bud (digital radios can be bought dirt cheap these days) or failing that the Internet has some equally excellent stations.

If you want videos too though, I can understand your frustration.
I think it's the music videos Vince wants, and I am with him on that. However, I do think we have a reasonable selection with video on demand.

I would never say no to more choice, however!

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-SWITCH View Post
Could be a sine of the missing channels
I think it is and it's what I've been talking about since last summer.

However, I think now that it is possible that Sky Atlantic may not be part of this because other options may be available that VM want to pursue, but I remain hopeful. We should know by June at the latest, I think, piecing everything together.
Old 15-04-2014, 21:05   #2092
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

I've had the new list for potential channels to launch on VM this year.
Sky sports 3/4/news HD are on it along with Sky1+1
Sky Atlantic is not on the list i'm afraid to say, this doesn't mean it's not coming it just means my source hasn't heard anything about it yet.
Also Skysports f1HD isn't on it.
Old 15-04-2014, 21:24   #2093
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Sky Atlantic is not on the list i'm afraid to say, this doesn't mean it's not coming it just means my source hasn't heard anything about it yet.
It's what I expected to hear except SS F1 HD. Interesting that it's not.
Old 15-04-2014, 21:44   #2094
Media Boy UK
My post info may change

Quote:
Well Sky1 +1 is shown in Smallworld areas.

Thanks for info.
Old 15-04-2014, 23:24   #2095
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
I just don't think they've had the resources to invest in their infrastructure.
The pricing's hard to decipher as there is a lack of clarity over how you get a landline. Certainly, 20 MB at £49pm and a router for £45 is no bargain!
What is bizarre is that every speed is labelled "our fastest broadband" even 2MB! The overall impression is of an ADSL broadband provider, not that of a cable company.
I wonder if VM would be interested in mopping up these last two companiese now that they are owned by LG? LG may not be willing to invest in Jersey because of the old infrastructure, but I would imagine that Wight Fibre is a possibility.
Old 15-04-2014, 23:53   #2096
Media Boy UK
My post info may change

Quote:
I wonder if VM would be interested in mopping up these last two companiese now that they are owned by LG? LG may not be willing to invest in Jersey because of the old infrastructure, but I would imagine that Wight Fibre is a possibility.
Any not add more cable infrastructure to areas they are broadcasting in right now (Like an new street been added over the years).
Old 16-04-2014, 00:18   #2097
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Jersey does not look a good bet, I'm really surprised those speeds are so poor. I think someone else said that the Isle of Wight may not be worth the effort for LG but I could be wrong.

---------- Post added at 00:18 ---------- Previous post was at 00:13 ----------

Quote:
Tim Gatt Twitter Home page says the Channel 5 post was posted four hours ago (as of 18:13) - 4th one down (As of 18:12)

https://twitter.com/TimGattITV
Confused.com! I think you are right to hold back, though I think it will happen in due course.
Old 16-04-2014, 00:18   #2098
Media Boy UK
My post info may change

Quote:
Jersey does not look a good bet, I'm really surprised those speeds are so poor. I think someone else said that the Isle of Wight may not be worth the effort for LG but I could be wrong.
Just found that Isle of Man do not have an Cable TV Broadcaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Televis...he_Isle_of_Man
Old 16-04-2014, 05:22   #2099
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
I get why they don't want to give up Atlantic, but the hd variant of a channel already available to us when the others are coming? That said, the channel has seriously improved since launch imo. It just goes to show you, if this rumour is true, that there is still, as far as Sky are concerned, a market for exclusive hd content.
Old 16-04-2014, 07:40   #2100
nicknewark
Inactive

Services: V6 Tivo, Virgin BB, Freesat, NowTV. PS4 Pro
nicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation era

Just got a Now Tv box with Four month entertainment pass for £24.00 from Currys, had to do it to get may G.O.T fix. Not bothered about the other stuff.

The picture quality is not exactly HD, but seen worse and get worse on VM on certain channels.
Closed Thread