Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Configuring another PC to go through TV Box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Configuring another PC to go through TV Box

Old 07-03-2006, 10:16   #1
DJCopa
Inactive

DJCopa is an unknown quantity at this point
Configuring another PC to go through TV Box

Hello There!

I have a lady who has NTL broadband through a TV set box. This is currently being used by her own PC. She now has to work from home on occaision, so we have given her a company laptop ,with all necessary software on, and setup a VPN to connect to our company firewall.
I have installed NTL onto the laptop, and setup as per instructions (switch box off, wait for flashing light to go out,etc.) - I then enbale the company VPN and it connects to our network fine - All OK!
However, when the lady then connects her own PC back to NTL line, no connectivity at all. This also happens in reverse (set NTL backup on her own PC, and this will work, but Company laptop will then have no internet, regardless if VPN is enabled or not!).

Someone has told me that I need to register the new MAC address for the company laptop with NTL, but I have no idea where to do this, or if this is correct. Does anyone know where/how to do this????

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
DJCopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2006, 10:26   #2
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: Configuring another PC to go through TV Box

to CF

Three suggestions -
First, yes you do need to register each MAC address if you are using an STB - read this for more info.
Two, if she is using an ethernet connection (rather than USB) don't bother with the NTL software.
Three, either get her, or suggest she gets, a router! Then she can share the connection without rebooting the STB. I, and many others here, use Linksys routers such as the WRT54G (wireless router), which works happily with VPN's.

HTH
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:35   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Moved to Networking
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:36   #4
DJCopa
Inactive

Wow - Quick response!

That is excellent, and just what I am after! I will give the MAC address scenario a go first and hopefully get her on line. With regards to the router solution, I think this will be a good idea. I've heard stories of NTL not being the most secure ISP.

Thanks again for the quick response!!
Old 07-03-2006, 10:40   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

to Cable Forum

As said by Aragorn, every device that connects the cable via a Set Top Box (STB) has to have the mac address registered. That should only be a one time process. If you change the connection from one PC to a different PC, the STB will not realise this unless the STB itself is rebooted. Once the STB is rebooted, the first time a new PC attempts to connect to the internet, it should automatically be detected and the user is pointed at the ntl registration screen (customer will need their account details to complete this).

Reboting every time the user needs to swap between pc and laptop, especially if that is frequent is a PITA. A simple router gets round that (altough the router too would need to register with the STB unless a mac addy is cloned into it from a known computer).
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:54   #6
DJCopa
Inactive

I think registering the Router with the NTL STB is going to be the easiest option in the long run. More secure and will save headaches!

Thanks again for the friendly and quick replies!