Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Improving The Wireless

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Improving The Wireless

Old 18-05-2012, 19:54   #1
AFSTER
Inactive

AFSTER is an unknown quantity at this point
Improving The Wireless

i am with Virgin and been upgraded to 120mb

i live in a four story house and wireless in most place is excellent, but up on the forth floor is bad and its when i browse before going to bed like on ipad or iphone

now is there anyway of boosting the signal

i could buy a router and use the vm one as a modem, which brand is good

as its for wireless i can use power line adapter to extend

i did think about moving the router onto the next floor but my mac and nas is connected to the router

is there any point on changing the channel or the 802.11 mode: as its set to 54

thanks
AFSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-05-2012, 20:06   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Improving The Wireless

If other people near you are also using wireless there perhaps is interference so try changing channels. You have nothing to loose by trying.

But your router is some way, by building structure obstructions, from the 4th floor. You may find that another router could be located mid point in the house which could extend the signal. Alternatively your suggestion of power line may be easiest, depending on the circuits in the house, or perhaps just run a single ethernet cable to another wireless access point on the fourth floor.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 20:13   #3
AFSTER
Inactive

AFSTER is an unknown quantity at this point

my neighbor also has virgin and there on channel 6 and i am on 1

is there any point in looking into
Linksys E4200
RT-N66U
TL-WR2843ND

trying to stream 720p from the nas to ipad and its not smooth, not could be the player that i am using or is it the vm router is not that great
AFSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 22:08   #4
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

there is no TL-WR2843ND TP link will have something more exciting at the end of the year.

id say linksys because its the daddy but asus is good too with tomato firmware and yes because your house is 4 floors tall putting a router in the middle is a wise move.

you could set up a access point/power line adapters.

if youve got money to test then go for it and return whatever you dont need, wont work. double check thr stated rights but by law youve got a right to a refund.

mode 54/145/300... SuperHub? no. modem mode linked to your own choice of router
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 23:10   #5
nish2030
ISH

Services: 200mb gamer BB, 1x 1tb tivo, 3x 500gb Tivo, Tv XL, VM phone talk wekends.
nish2030 is an unknown quantity at this point

Had a similar problem so I got an apple air port express which revamped the wireless coverage as both super hub and air port are broadcasting at different channels.

And everything with an Ethernet port is connected via an Ethernet switch or straight to the modem.

that way I get the best performance in terms of speed.
nish2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 11:57   #6
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

The problem is made worse in that you are in an elevated position and therefore more prone to interference from surrounding routers/hot spots.
Try downloading inssider to see your neighbours channels.
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote