Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | cat 5e cable for twin wall socket

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help with VM modem

Old 13-03-2008, 14:32   #1
nz039926
Inactive

nz039926 is an unknown quantity at this point
Help with VM modem

My Virgin Media modem lights are as follows:
Ready: green (solid)
Sync : Green (solid)
Rec : off
Send : off
ethernet: Geen (solid)
USB : off
Power: Green (Solid)

My wireless router(Fonera) is connected to Virgin media modem through ethernet connection.
Everything seems to be fine, but I don't have internet at all.
I can connect to my wireless router(Fonera) consol and change it's settings, but I don't understand why
I don't have internet.
Every now and then the Send light goes green for a second, then the Receive light does the same.
Can someone help?
Thanks.
nz039926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2008, 14:36   #2
techyguy4
Inactive

techyguy4 is on a distinguished roadtechyguy4 is on a distinguished road
Re: Help with VM modem

Have you tried power cycling? If not lemme tell the procedure.
1.Switch off the modem and router.
2.Switch on the modem first.Wait for Sync and Rdy to become stable.
3.Switch on the router.Wait for around 1 minute.
4.Check the internet connection.
techyguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 14:41   #3
nz039926
Inactive

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I tried that many times but it made no difference.

The modem lights suggest that my internet connect is OK, but I have no internet connection.
It working OK on Saturday and then all of the sudden it stopped. Initially, I didn't think much to it and though it'll be back on later but that didn't happen.
Old 13-03-2008, 14:53   #4
fatassmichael
Inactive

Services: Vip 50 with Tivo
fatassmichael is just really nicefatassmichael is just really nicefatassmichael is just really nicefatassmichael is just really nicefatassmichael is just really nicefatassmichael is just really nice

Can you log into the modem at http://192.168.100.1 and look for network access, user and pass are both root
fatassmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 15:15   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Is your router - Fonera - an Cable type, or does it have an inbuilt ADSL modem (the latter won't work). Perhaps you can post the model number so we can check the specs?

If you have played with the settings on the router, try a factory reset and then connect it up to the modem, powering everything off including modem when you do, and making sure no USB leads or other ethernet is connected to the modem except directly to the router's WAN port side.

When your computer is connected by wire or wireless to the router, can you browse to the router's admin page. Is your computer getting an IP address?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 15:20   #6
techyguy4
Inactive

techyguy4 is on a distinguished roadtechyguy4 is on a distinguished road

I think you can also try making a direct connection.(bypassing the router). If that is not possible, can you tell me if it is a wired connection or a wireless connection between your pc and router?In both the scenarios, you can check the network connections window to see whether the local area connection/wireless network connection is connected or not. Go to start->run->ncpa.cpl for the network connections window.
techyguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 17:13   #7
nz039926
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Is your router - Fonera - an Cable type, or does it have an inbuilt ADSL modem (the latter won't work). Perhaps you can post the model number so we can check the specs?

If you have played with the settings on the router, try a factory reset and then connect it up to the modem, powering everything off including modem when you do, and making sure no USB leads or other ethernet is connected to the modem except directly to the router's WAN port side.

When your computer is connected by wire or wireless to the router, can you browse to the router's admin page. Is your computer getting an IP address?

It's a wireless router that connets to my cable modem using an ethernet cable.
I tried factory reset but that didn't help.
I can browse router's admin page no problem. My computer is getting an IP address but it's the same everytime even when I select repair.

Thanks
my fonera spec:

Memory Flash: 8 MB / SDRAM: 16 MB
AntennaConnector RP-SMA connector (reverse SMA)
Antenna Omni-Directional detachable antenna (2dBi)
Authentication WEP 64bit/128 bit, WPA, WPA2, WPA mixed
Encryption TKIP, AES, Mixed
Network Standard Support IEEE 802.11b / 802.11g (up to 54 Mbps)

Frequency Range 2400 MHz – 2500 MHz
Antenna gain-without cable 7 dBi
Antenna gain-with cable 6.5 dBi
VSWR 2.0 : 1 Max.
Polarization Linear, vertical
Impedance 50 Ω
Temperature -10ºC to +55ºC
Connector R/P SMA PLUG
Cable ULA168,L = 3M
==================================
Double SSID to simultaneously build a public FON access point and a secure private network
within the same device
IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless High Speed Mode
Simple web browser configuration
Remote configuration through the FON website
Automatic channel support, selects best available wireless channel
WPS-PSK (TKIP-AES) security enabled
Supports legacy 128/64-bit WEP security
Built in DHCP server
Optimized high-speed routing
External antenna with SMA connector
1 Ethernet port (10/100 Mbps)

==================================

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 17:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by techyguy4 View Post
I think you can also try making a direct connection.(bypassing the router). If that is not possible, can you tell me if it is a wired connection or a wireless connection between your pc and router?In both the scenarios, you can check the network connections window to see whether the local area connection/wireless network connection is connected or not. Go to start->run->ncpa.cpl for the network connections window.
Thanks, I'll give that a go.

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 17:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatassmichael View Post
Can you log into the modem at http://192.168.100.1 and look for network access, user and pass are both root

Thanks, I'll give this a go.
Old 13-03-2008, 17:18   #8
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Lot's of technical stuff there, but what is the model number of the router please? That may help us to confirm it's actuall compatible with the cable service.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 11:59   #9
nz039926
Inactive

Thanks folks.
Last Friday I phoned VM to see if they can offer me a better deal as I was thinking to swich to
Sky. They offered me 2meg for £10 and I accepted the offer.
Since then I didn't have bb and I thought something wrong with my PC especially the modem (NTL:250)
lights seemed to work OK.
Today I phoned VM and guess what, they disconnected me!
I am seriously thinking of leaving them now as I think £10 is too much for 2meg bb.