Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New Router - choices?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Supported NIC's

Old 29-07-2007, 13:55   #1
nms247
Inactive

Services: BB L
nms247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Supported NIC's

Hi,

Does Virgin Media have a list of supported wired NICs that support their CM's

TIA

NemesisUK
nms247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-07-2007, 13:57   #2
zing_deleted

Re: Supported NIC's

ive yet to come across one that does not. Do you have a problem?
Old 29-07-2007, 13:58   #3
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Any ethernet card will work, but if your on the top tier(10mb/20mb) you'll need a 100-Base-T or a 1000-Base-T card.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 14:01   #4
nms247
Inactive

Yeah, my NIC keeps going down randomly if connected to the CM. However if I connect it to my second pc the NIC stays up forever.

The NIC I'm using is a Marvell Yukon GIGAbit NIC.

I've also tried a Realtek 8139C NIC and that won't even get DHCP from the CM.
Old 29-07-2007, 14:05   #5
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

faulty NIC in the first PC?
Old 29-07-2007, 14:07   #6
nms247
Inactive

Jon T, I'd thought that but if I connect it into anything else it works fine.
Old 29-07-2007, 14:21   #7
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms247 View Post
Yeah, my NIC keeps going down randomly if connected to the CM. However if I connect it to my second pc the NIC stays up forever.

The NIC I'm using is a Marvell Yukon GIGAbit NIC.

I've also tried a Realtek 8139C NIC and that won't even get DHCP from the CM.
I take it you've power cycled the cable modem when changing the network cards over(no offence, some people no you have to do this, but a lot don't).

Is the Marvell Yukon card built into the motherboard, if not, just replace it. OK it might work with other devices ok, but it's possible that if it's started to go faulty that the volume of traffic from you CM is causing it to fail.
Old 29-07-2007, 14:29   #8
nms247
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post
I take it you've power cycled the cable modem when changing the network cards over(no offence, some people no you have to do this, but a lot don't).

Is the Marvell Yukon card built into the motherboard, if not, just replace it. OK it might work with other devices ok, but it's possible that if it's started to go faulty that the volume of traffic from you CM is causing it to fail.
No offense taken about the power cycling I would replace it but it's on the mobo. For the life of me I can't explain why the marvell nic gets DHCP but a realtek and a 3com dont. I've also now started to have the CM loose connection to VM. I've only had the service for a week and it's turning out to be a pain.
Old 29-07-2007, 14:39   #9
zing_deleted

When you try it on other machines do you use the same cable?
Old 29-07-2007, 14:44   #10
nms247
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
When you try it on other machines do you use the same cable?

Yes I do, believe it or not I build and configure servers for a living.
OFT VM support is interesting to go through as soon as they find out I'm running linux, they seem to panic and when I told them I work in IT the support call was ended
Old 29-07-2007, 14:48   #11
zing_deleted

Updated the drivers then seeing as you know the score this must have already been tried. Do you not have any nic cards lying around to test in first machine? tbh if your a server tech you must have tried pretty much everything we can point you to
Old 29-07-2007, 14:48   #12
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Unfortunatly VM don't support Linux, so as soon as you tell them that you've effectively give them the OK to not support you.

Two choices, either a) get a windows box conected when you phone the up. b) any diagnostics they ask you, translate into the linux versions, and then relay the corresponding Windows responses back to them.
Old 29-07-2007, 14:49   #13
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms247 View Post
No offense taken about the power cycling I would replace it but it's on the mobo. For the life of me I can't explain why the marvell nic gets DHCP but a realtek and a 3com dont. I've also now started to have the CM loose connection to VM. I've only had the service for a week and it's turning out to be a pain.
you dropping sync here ?

are both the machines your trying nix?
Old 29-07-2007, 14:57   #14
nms247
Inactive

I've expained to them this isnt a OS problem. I would connect a windows but that would mean I have to install it first and to be honest seems a little over the top, so I'm going for your suggestion of converting linux responses into windows ones. Sitting here staring at the modem and posting replys to here, I've noticed the pc light on the modem, it's gone out but Im still able to surf. This from a tech support pespective is turning into a nightmare that no tech support script is ever going to fix.
Old 29-07-2007, 14:58   #15
zing_deleted

Have you tried different drivers for the nic thats dropping connection?