Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 12mbps without router & 6mbps through router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Networking cable help.

Old 18-02-2009, 18:15   #1
c0n
Inactive

c0n is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Networking cable help.

Hey all,

I recently bought myself a Proxim ORiNOCO 11a/b/g PCI Card.
Along with a nice sattalite dish the problem is I can't seem to find the right cable to connect from card to dish, I live in the UK and have tried all of the usual stores like Maplins, PC world etc and had no luck. It looks as though im going to have to buy online, I've had a search on google and it just comes up with hella loads of different sizes and connections etc.

If any of you could possibly point me in the right direction or even a website to purchase from I would be very grateful. I have provided a picture of both ends of the wires.

http://img6.imageshack.us/my.php?image=28152493he3.jpg
-
http://img26.imageshack.us/my.php?image=63728611ez7.jpg
c0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-02-2009, 18:51   #2
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age
Re: Networking cable help.

It's not networking cable as such that you need. The cable you need is a RF cable, and what I can see from the pictures, i think the connectors are SMA.

Try here: http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-cable.htm
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 18:55   #3
c0n
Inactive

Hmm I been looking on ebay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ANTENNA-RP-SMA...3A1|240%3A1318

Do you think that cable would work with them two connections?
Old 18-02-2009, 18:57   #4
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

I've just had a look at your pictures again and can't be sure if the connectors are SMA or TNC. Has the antenna got a make/model number on it?

I'm still favouring the idea of the connectors being RP-SMA's, in which case the cable that you've found will be fine.
Old 18-02-2009, 19:09   #5
c0n
Inactive

It has no make model number on it,

http://www.wsidigital.com/images/grid_a6.jpg

Its an omni direction antenna, 24DBI Freq - 2.5Ghtz.

Yes I also think that cable is perfect after looking more closely at the two connectors.
Thank you for all the help and support
Old 18-02-2009, 19:31   #6
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0n View Post
It has no make model number on it,

http://www.wsidigital.com/images/grid_a6.jpg

Its an omni direction antenna, 24DBI Freq - 2.5Ghtz.

Yes I also think that cable is perfect after looking more closely at the two connectors.
Thank you for all the help and support
That antenna may be many things, but it's not omni-directional, it's very definitely directional. Also a 6m long cable at wireless networking frequencies is going to suffer a lot of attenuation.
Old 18-02-2009, 19:41   #7
c0n
Inactive

It says on it omni-directional.... It will also be fine its what these are made to do, Purely for wireless frequencies.
Old 18-02-2009, 20:05   #8
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0n View Post
It says on it omni-directional.... It will also be fine its what these are made to do, Purely for wireless frequencies.
Then the text on the description is wrong, the antenna in the photo you have linked to is directional without a shadow of a doubt.

The curved grid on the antenna is a "reflector" ensuring that the antenna will not pick up or transmit much at all from behind itself. With this kind of antenna it "pointing" where the signal is needed/coming from.

Look at this page: http://www.wsidigital.com/grid_anten...-_2490_mhz.htm It gives you all the specs.
Old 18-02-2009, 20:19   #9
Sir John Luke
Inactive

Sir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful one

Not knowing anything about antenna technology and terminology, could the 'omni-directional' mean that the dish is motorised and thus can be 'pointed' in any direction?
Sir John Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 20:24   #10
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir John Luke View Post
Not knowing anything about antenna technology and terminology, could the 'omni-directional' mean that the dish is motorised and thus can be 'pointed' in any direction?
No, an omni-directional antenna is one that radiates/receives in all directions.

Not that I need backup or anything, but where's Kymmy when you need her?