View Single Post
Old 13-04-2017, 13:34   #1164
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Live TV still the future according to Freeview boss. (Yes, I know, he would say that. etc)

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/...n-valley-view/
Given that many of our digital channels attract less than 2% of the viewing audience at the best of times, many must be uncomfortably close to the edge of viability. I think that the number of these channels still broadcasting in 10 years' time will have diminished substantially due to their audiences reducing still further at the hands of on line viewing.

What happens thereafter is the big question. You know my views on this, but it is probably fair to say that the big five digital terrestrial channels will survive longest, and maybe the Sky and BT sports channels.

I do not know what they might pull out of the hat to keep people viewing conventially, but it will have to be good.

I don't doubt for one minute that there are plenty of people out there who don't want change, but the question is whether there are enough of them to make it worthwhile to continue broadcasting our linear TV channels as streaming becomes more mainstream and the diehards become increasingly outnumbered by the millenials.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote