Thread: 300M Possible throttling
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 23:16   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Possible throttling

yup, 300mbit is unmanaged so I would let them shoot themselves in the foot and say you uploaded too much and triggered stm and then ask them how you managed to trigger it when there is no policy in place.

Quote:
To see in detail how our traffic management works in practice:
•If you have 30Mbps unlimited broadband or above* click here
•If you have 20Mbps unlimited broadband or below* click here

*Traffic Management doesn't apply to VIVID 200 Gamer or VIVID 300.
https://help.virginmedia.com/system/...agement-policy

If it keeps happening I would start running some tests to prove that stm is kicking in once you have uploaded x amount in 1 hour. There definitely isn't any restriction on the downstream so you need to work out if there is something like a 5gb/hour cap on the stream and then it drops down to 50%.
To be fair and balanced though, I think stm operates between 1600-2300 on week days so you should also do whatever it is you are doing during the day because if the same things happens then it isn't peak time traffic management.
Another forum user quite eloquently pointed out in another thread that two upstream channels = 54mbits of upload speed for your entire area and you want to use 30mbits by yourself so I wouldn't be surprised if that drops down to 8-10mbits or so in the evening tbh. You would assume that that is 75% stm reduction kicking in but it is just peak time congestion on your local network segment.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote