View Single Post
Old 24-09-2010, 21:42   #10
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age
Re: Cant Get Cable? - Maybe We Can Help!

Hi Deanhuth

The first problem with providing cable to Cotgrave is its distance from the nearest active network. There would be substantial work to bring service to the town as well as commissioning the extra capacity to support a town of this size. 8k homes is a massive amount to add to the network at once and many problems can arrise with this including lack of space at the local hubsite to support the addition of this many homes.

The next problem is... the number of homes (again). 8k Homes is approximately 18 quadrants or 9-10 MUX or Fibre Nodes. 1 MUX cabinet would cost circa £40k to build and then there is still the job of building the local network to feed these homes and commission all the extra smaller DP or DA cabinets to feed the streets.

From a cost point of view, this would be horrendously high. Main build is still something that is being looked at by the company as new technologys have emerged which may make projects like this more feasible in future, but in the current environment this would just be way too much work and an astonishing cost as well. 8k homes would be circa £7m to build based on the current network architecture.

So while today may not be an option, hopefully if these well publicised trials end up as reality then I would say there is more chance, in the meantime I just couldn't see this happening.

I hope this was useful, feel free to get in touch if you need anything else.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote