View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 22:44   #573
markt50
Inactive

markt50 is on a distinguished roadmarkt50 is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
The system appears to be cookie based. A good cookie tracking system doesn't need IP information, only a unique reference number or some other non personal descriptor.
But I see this as playing the system. Somehow their system has to have a way of getting my browsing data, being able to profile it, and then update a cookie on my machine. What does an IP address do ? , well other than the obvious network stuff it also is a way of identifying a machine. So they are using some form of number coding or clever system to be able to identify a machine without using an IP, the very fact they know what my machine is (and they must know this in order to be able to write back to the cookie) must mean that I am identifiable to them. Obviously the ability to write back to a cookie is nothing new, but when combined with the fact that they have my entire browsing data is very worrying for me at least.

I don't pretend to be clever enough to understand any of this, but I just think that what they are saying doesn't match up. On the one hand this is supposed to be a system that profiles an individuals browsing habits and serves them personalised adverts, yet on the other hand they are saying they have no idea who you are or what your doing, this seems like a complete contradiction to me, and I may be looking at this way to simplistically, but if they can send anything to my machine then they can identify me.