View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 16:04   #391
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Huge fire at West London tower block

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite66 View Post
The council in "How to get a council house" had a 3 strikes rule, turn down 3 and you off the list.
wonder if they have the same here.
Since that programme was made there has been much more pressure on housing stock, as a result local authorities reduced this to two and then to one.

Most people are no longer offered a home, they have to bid for any vacant property that their allocated points allow. The top ten or so applicants are invited to view the property, if (and it's a big if) those in front of them turn it down, they are invited to view the property and given a chance to accept it themselves.

No idea what policies are being implemented for those made homeless as a result of this fire though.

There was an interesting discussion on LBC very early this morning. From what they were saying, an offer to stay in the UK for a year has been made to any illegal immigrants who come forward to admit that they were unlawfully staying in the flats.

Some callers believed that they should be patched up and sent home ASAP, but most others thought that this idea was a fair compromise.

The host of the show disagreed with them all as he believed that they should be allowed to stay as long as they liked because of what they had been through. He labelled his callers as "heartless".

---------- Post added at 15:04 ---------- Previous post was at 14:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
You appear to be confusing compassion with the compensation culture prevalent in society now.

Yes they have gone through a very traumatic experience and do need support through that but don't you think the funds raised would not be able to support that? What does it stand at now? Over £10mllion, That's a lot of money per person to put it bluntly.

So please tell me how we can be more compassionate than to contribute more than £10 million to their need and assist them in the future?

As regards rehousing them where do you think the local council will be able to obtain that amount of stock from?

Tough **** they may have to enroll their kid in a different school if offered accommodation in a different borough but what does that matter?

What has compassion to do with that? I Would be more concerned that my child could continue their education wherever it may be
I personally don't have a problem with those who feel that they have been wronged claiming compensation. If people did the right thing then the claims wouldn't be made or would fail at court.

As a last resort I've successfully taken legal action myself against those who have wronged myself or my business.

However, I do see your point on occasion. A young lad broke into a hairdressers shop and burnt himself on some chemical solution that had been left out overnight.

After being caught for the burglary, he successfully sued the hairdresser. The reasons given were that she had a 'duty of care' towards anyone who came into her shop (even unlawfully) and that the chemical solution should have been safely stored away.

What if a burglar broke into a home and tripped on some loose carpeting and injured themselves?!?!

Maybe this is a reason why any illegals in the tower are being given support??
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote