View Single Post
Old 25-03-2016, 17:36   #725
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

I've come to the conclusion, Harry, that no-one is actually going to convince you that viewer habits are changing and that there will come the day when the linear broadcast model ceases to be viable. Your posts do not address this fact but instead seem to be requiring me to state in infinite detail how the streaming services will be funded, what streaming services there will be, whether subscriptions will be for a month or a year at a time, etc. No-one can 'know' the answers to these questions because different events lead to different initiatives by providers and so to predict future events with the degree of precision you require is not possible. Then additionally you get entrepreneurs from out of nowhere who come up with game changing ideas.

Linear broadcast channels have served us well but new digital technologies will ultimately take over completely. It's not a question of if, but when. Despite your comments about 'changing my mind' my views on this have been consistent.

Chris is adamant that there are too many obstacles to the changes I have suggested on here, despite the fact that the experts are working to resolve problems such as the energy limitations that he has described. He does not believe that in 20 years' time the rest of the country will have access to high speed broadband despite this being the Government's objective in less than half that time.

I have entertained the questions you have put to me, but that does not necessarily mean that I agree with the scenarios you have put forward. You have resolutely refused to accept that Netflix will not take commercials, despite the company's CEO saying that they will not do this, you refuse to accept that streaming companies will let their viewers flit in and out of their offerings despite the fact that Now TV do this already, and so on.

So whatever I say will never convince you, old chap! However, in the near future, even you will see the way this is going, and I expect there will be plenty of hat eating going on in your household!

Let's use this thread to post links and information about how the way we watch TV may or may not change in the future. We can all then form our own views about the way this is all going.

---------- Post added at 17:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

Here is an exciting development relating to a new streaming service.

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201603254...#axzz43w7bErFS
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote