View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 18:37   #1508
tassiekev
Inactive

tassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the rough
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
5.1 sound works fine for me via optical. You may need to change the setting under Audio for Dolby Digital to explicitly use optical or it may autonegotiate to use what the HDMI connection prefers.

VLC is now available from the Fire TV app store, which while a bit buggy right now integrates better with the device than Kodi and won't make a mess all over the file system like Kodi does.
Apologies, on re-reading my post what I said was at least partially wrong. The problem lies with Amazon Prime (not sure about the other stuff). This is something that has been driving me mad for months - couldn't understand why Netflix can output 5.1 but couldn't get it on Prime. If you Google '5.1 sound problems on Amazon Prime' there are app 930,000 hits.

I wrote to HDFury in the States who design (and, I think manufacture) little boxes that take a signal from HDMI & output to component. One of their models, HDFury3, strips audio from the HDMI and passes it out via SPDIF in either stereo or 5.1. I asked if the HDFury3 could strip audio from the Amazon Fire and the response (paraphrased) was, 'no, the current device cannot extract DD+ which is output from Prime. A new device will be available to do so but DD+ is only output via HDMI. Standard DD is not a problem.'

Hope that clears up any misunderstanding I've created.