View Single Post
Old 21-10-2010, 15:18   #6
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Tax Avoidance And Coalition Ministers

I understand one aim is to simplify the tax code. Simplified codes have less loopholes.

---------- Post added at 15:17 ---------- Previous post was at 15:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If we're specifically talking about cracking down on avoidance, rather than evasion, exactly what sort of avoidance is good, and what is bad?
Moving money around family and around the world in order to avoid CGT, etc, I'd describe as avoidance. Not engaging in a taxed activity isn't avoiding taxes. Making money, which is a taxed activity, and moving it around to avoid paying taxes on it is somewhat different.

---------- Post added at 15:18 ---------- Previous post was at 15:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
As Chris states, we could all be guilty of tax avoidance - for instance, I now mostly use public transport to get to work, thus avoiding the tax on the petrol I don't use, and I also avoid the tax on the cigarettes I don't smoke.....
In the case of cigarettes a closer analogy would perhaps be smoking duty free cigarettes. You're engaging in a behaviour which is usually taxable but finding a method to avoid the usual taxes on them.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote