Thread: General New TV advice
View Single Post
Old 16-01-2018, 11:25   #34
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: New TV advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Over the years my Dad has gone from a 26" CRT TV (I think) to a 32" original LCD to a reasonably current 40" LED LCD TV.

Each of which took up less space than the last, so actually dominates the room less than each of the previous one used to.

Current TVs also allow for more creative room layout - you don't have to rely on sticking the TV in a corner and then ensuring the rest of the furniture is pointed at it, or at least not blocking the TV.
All true but the furthest distance normally used would be 2-3 metres and the closest less than 1m. Yes it could be positioned slightly differently but the back of the CRT sits into the room corner so doesn't take up much space, any screen would still take the same space just have dead area behind it. We could wall mount but then would lose that space we have pictures on.

I also remember the "fun" getting a monitor to replace a CRT model. Wanted not to lose any pixels in any direction, be able to use for movies, games, photos, text etc so good for all purposes and not cost an absolute fortune or be too big. The pixel item was challenge, the CRT ran at 1600x1200. We have a 16:10 BenQ but it's not perfect but for budget is good enough. I guess TV's don't need to cope with being so general and ratio isn't the same problem.

Anyway that is getting off topic about choosing a TV for the OP's purpose.