Thread: General DNS Servers Down
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2018, 18:56   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: DNS Servers Down

this is perfect timing because we have had a bit of a tiff about this is another thread. You have never been able to change the dns settings on any of the shubs and VM don't want you to. Screwing up the dns settings can make your connection appear to be broke when it isn't and just creates another point of failure/troubleshooting which they don't want to deal with. VM's dns servers go down three or four times a year and the outage time for them is probably deemed acceptable when weighed against the potential long term call volume to tech support if you screw the settings up.

The only way you can circumvent this and not even notice the downtime/disruption of service is to use your own proper where you can set your dns servers to google's which will have a ridiculous level of fault tolerance and have never gone down that I have noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I do plan going modem only mode just got to sort a router out when I have time.
Now is a good a time as any with the sales. If you would like any advice come back and let us know. I have already made some casual recommendations in this thread if you would like a rough idea of what to look for.

Last edited by General Maximus; 04-01-2018 at 18:59.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote