View Single Post
Old 13-09-2017, 18:19   #34
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Why is it his duty to be positive? He's a reporter not a cheerleader. I imagine you could take a lot of topics and find that reporter sentiment is largely negative from the NHS to transport. Things make news when they're going wrong, not when everything is working smoothly, and for that matter the reporting can reflect the reality of the situation.

This is about trying to shut people up from criticising the government by pretending balanced coverage means 50% positive and 50% negative reporting.
Who said it was his duty to be positive? Being even slightly impartial, if only out of professional ethics, oughtn't to be too much to expect but that just an opinion Damien that's all. This is just an interesting discussion point, especially given the distinct impression of pro-EU media reporting bias many people have complained of and the denial thereof from remain supporters. Frankly I'd expect anyone to be able to concede that more than 2% of the Brexit outcome being positive but that's just silly me. I'd happily concede that Brexit, even the best outcome, is going to have significant downsides. How's any of this about shutting anyone up? They're going to continue doing what they've done and nobody's going to stop them are they. Pointing out the statistics about their Tweets, which is all this is, isn't going to make a jot of difference to them but I think a lot of people will be interested what they really think when judging their 'professional' commentary on these events.

Last edited by Osem; 13-09-2017 at 18:23.