View Single Post
Old 13-10-2017, 11:59   #5
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Harvey Weinstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Seems like he had a lot of power over people who were worried he could ruin their careers. I also suspect many of those who knew only knew of part of the story and without the larger picture it wouldn't have been enough to bring him down. We've seen what happens before when women makes accusations, they in turn get accused of lying to win cash. You need a lot of testimony to make such an accusation stick and until someone investigates, as someone now has, then everyone is too afraid.

There could also be an element of the Saville about it too. People knew of the rumors without the accusations. It was clearly an open secret. Look at this joke:

Probably many more out there in Hollywood too. I mean Polański still gets jobs.
That's the problem. And apparently Rosanna Arquette has blamed the fact she rejected his advances for her career faltering. She rejected his advances at around the time Pulp Fiction was released, and that *should* have boosted her career. All of a sudden, the job offers stopped.

As with Jimmy Saville, it was an open secret, but he made a lot of money for a lot of people. Some people are quite happy to forgive or forget most things if the money coming in is enough.

Regarding the actors involved, they had a choice. Risk the shame and emotional distress of abuse, possibly even rape, or risk having the career they have (in some cases) spent most of their lives building up destroyed because they said no.

I am not defending Weinstein, those who actively helped him, or those who were in a position to do something and merely turned a blind eye. In fact, I have nothing but contempt for them. He should have stopped, or have been stopped. It's useless wittering on about sex addiction now he has been caught. That's an excuse. That's so he can say "I'm ill, I'm seeking help" and hoping we forgive him before his career is totally destroyed. If he was ill, he should have sought treatment years ago.

Not that I believe he is a sex addict. If you are inferring to someone that their job hangs on performing certain favors to you, that's not a sexual thing. That is exerting power over them.

Oh, and blaming the victims because they didn't speak up earlier, that's not on.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote