View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 14:10   #820
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Sorry but re-reading this entire thread won't give that impression to any impartial reader.

You have been arguing that linear TV channels days are numbered. The phrase "linear TV" is in the thread title. All your early contributions to the thread focused on the ease with which you set up favourites and preferences with your chosen on-demand service provider.

The broadcast medium is not relevant. Linear TV is still linear TV when watching it via the mobile iplayer.
I'm sorry, but I thought everybody understood what this thread was about. 'Linear TV' is shorthand for our existing broadcast channels and I was following the lead of others in describing it thus.

---------- Post added at 14:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Sorry I misunderstood. So the question is whether streaming will replace cable, terrestrial and satellite broadcasting?
Have to say that my technical knowledge is quite limited but I'm sure this is a possibility. Only this month, Channel 4 added live channels to its All4 Android app.http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016/...o-android-app/
Yes, Andrew, on the basis that over time, TV audiences will migrate away from our conventional broadcast channels which are scheduled and constantly peppered with commercial breaks. My argument is that it costs money to organise programmes on the conventional broadcast channels (eg scheduling, links between programmes, etc) whereas on a streaming service, the programmes just have to be uploaded. Furthermore, with a smaller audience, advertising revenue is reduced, leading to cheaper programmes being broadcast, exacerbating the audience decline. Ultimately, such channels will become uneconomic to run.

This isn't going to happen for a few years in my opinion, but over time, the economic reality will begin to bite. We will see fewer channels, which will bolster income for those that remain, but ultimately they too will fail.

So what I think will happen will be that we will be left with a range of streaming services to choose from. Not everyone on here is happy with that prospect and some are in denial, without being able to come up with solutions to prevent an audience decline. They say that the existing channels will simply refuse to let the big streaming companies have their original material, not realising that there is not sufficient material to enable the TV studios to make a profit in that scenario.

Instead of bundles of broadcast channels, we are likely to have bundles of streaming services and other demand viewing and box sets from cable and satellite companies.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote