View Single Post
Old 27-04-2016, 08:56   #881
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
So many things to take up, Harry? Well, this is the place to do it. The fact that I may disagree with you or you with me does not make the argument pointless.

I have never thought that linear TV in terms of on demand or streaming would die out. My reference to linear TV, as you well know, was to our traditional broadcast channels like ITV 1 and Channel 4. All over the internet, 'linear TV' is shorthand for that. But let's not get involved in such pedantic issues, we are looking at an impending transformation in the way that audiences watch TV, and this should be our focus.

I do find it gratifying that Sky have stepped up and faced the future. Contrary to what you say, Sky have only relatively recently offered on demand (cable companies gave us on demand when they went digital). However, it is good to see that Sky have now embraced this as the unavoidable future, and with startling speed, they appear to have overtaken Virgin Media. Fair play to them for this.

The issue about Netflix taking advertising on board is your fantasy, Harry, which is not only devoid of a source, but flatly contradicted by the CEO of Netflix. However, I guess you are entitled to your view. Netflix is a global player, and when they reach saturation point, they will be making billions from subscriptions alone, so I do not share your view that they will be forced to look for advertising revenue through commercials.
I am not going to go into detail on your previous post OB, the whole post is a massive contradiction, and climb down, from your original premise that linear TV will dead in 10 years - not that you will ever acknowledge that.

Referring briefly to your previous post though, Lets base a hypothetical future prediction from your good self on the fact that nothing in your premise changes. It's 10/20 (delete as applicable) years in the future, linear TV is dead and buried, Sky, VM, BT etc are all finished and there is nothing to be watched live (no sports on TV any more either for the sake of this argument - because, linear is finished). BBC is a subscription based company and every other content/channel owner is an exclusive VOD entity - just give a rough idea of how many VOD companies there will be, how much they will charge for an ad free world - and finally, how will often will the money be collected from the punters.

Just basic figures are fine with me, this does not need to demand much brain time.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote