Thread: Superhub Netgear Orbi and SH3
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2018, 09:44   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Netgear Orbi and SH3

you need to do a bit more reading first dude. I have never heard of the orbi so just had a quick google and from the sounds of it they are just Netgear's posh version of powerline adapters. You need to plug a "satellite" into the wall in your loft to extend the coverage so you are still going to have the same problem. You are basically buying a triband router with a range extender and I very much doubt you need the triband atm. The only good thing about them is that because they are one system it will appear as one network for you. If you had a shub or any other router and then bought powerline adapters they would appear as two different networks even though the data is going over the same connection.

If I were you I would try going for a more practical and novelty free option which will also be cheaper and buy two Asus routers. Whether they are the same model or one is superior (depending on your requirements), one can be used as the primary router downstairs with the shub in modem mode and the other can specifically be put in "access point mode" (it is an actual setting/feature) for your wifi upstairs. The only snag is (and you would want to do this for optimal performance anyway) that you will need to connect the two routers ideally by a patch cable. Can you run some flat cat5e under a carpet upstairs or through the floor?

I would strongly suggest getting two of these Asus ac68u's and perhaps or one ac68u and one ac3200 if you really think you are going to use triband in the not too distant future. As an example of the type of cable you would be looking for, this would be perfect. 20m of flat cat6 for £12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgerp View Post
I assume I would have to put the SH3 in modem mode and then attach the Orbi that way?
Incidentally though, any 3rd party router you get will involve putting the shub in modem mode and directly connecting the new router to port 1 on the shub. You just need to make sure the new router you buy fulfils your needs.

Last edited by General Maximus; 06-01-2018 at 09:48.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote