View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 14:22   #25
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black peopl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Lots of 60s and 70s shows that were sexist,homophobic and racist appear on various cable tv shows..No one seems to be objecting to them.
Yep.. The Sweeney and The Goodies spring to mind. I remember loving The Goodies as a kid, and I still like Graham Garden, Tim Brook Taylor and Bill Oddie, but some of the sketches they came up with for that did appear quite racist. I don't recall "The Sweeney" being racist, but from what I remember, the women featured tended to be in secondary roles, which would undoubtedly be considered sexist now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Yeah, 'Love thy Neighbour' and 'Curry and Chips', classic sitcoms....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Thy_Neighbour (the sidespiltting comedy of having a black neighbour)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_and_Chips (a blacked up Spike Milligan played an Asian immigrant shop worker who went by the name of Kevin O'Grady !)

However think they mostly don't get repeated because they were crap. (however that hasn't stopped them repeating 'On the buses', which is full of sexist/racist stuff)

Till Death Do Us Part was another dodgy one, but I liked it. People seem to have missed were supposed to be laughing at Alf Garnett's views, not laughing with him.

Guess it depends whether people are genuinely offended, and only they can say that.
I don't think I've ever seen "Curry and Chips", but I remember "Love Thy Neighbour" and can see how that would be considered racist. That said, from what I remember, the white guy always lost if he went up against the black guy.

"Till Death Do Us Part" and "In Sickness and In Health". I can see how they would be considered racist, if you only glance at them. Why do I say that? Because, if you only glanced at it, you would only see one white man calling other races all sorts of names. You wouldn't see the other characters (of all colours) criticising, fighting, ignoring or trying to placate him. You also wouldn't see that the one person who loses out in all this racist man's plotting, scheming and ranting is the racist himself. Alf Garnet said some truly awful things, but the only person negatively impacted by his actions and statements was him. The author of both actually said that the idea was that Alf was the only person who comes off badly as a result of Alf's actions.

There is one important point above that haters of TDOUP and ISAIH miss. In both shows a fairly large, fairly racially diverse (for the time) of both men and women are actually shown getting along with each other. Yes, some racial stereotypes are shown, but IIRC, these are only use when they are talking to Alf, so they could be trying to wind him up (Winston certainly used his Racial stereotype, and the fact he was gay, to wind Alf up).

As said above, we were supposed to laugh at Alf's ideas and views, not with them.

Still, I think as a people, we have become far too easily offended.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote