Thread: New Windows?
View Single Post
Old 27-12-2017, 10:47   #19
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: New Windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart44 View Post
If Microsoft were to start charging for updates at some time in the future, I suppose I would change to Linux. However, I switched to Windows 10 when it was released in July 2015. If it goes on for another 2½ years without charges for new features/updates (hopefully longer), I'd still have had around 5 years free use of what I reckon is a good OS.

I don't worry about telemetry. I'm one of millions of W.10 home users and would have to think myself pretty important for Microsoft to actually home in on my computer and spy on me in the true sense of the word. I have the opinion that telemetry just feeds back how the OS is used rather than it being pure spying. There have been no detrimental effects to life in general from letting it continue. Nonetheless, for those worried about telemetry, I read there are ways and means of preventing it.
This is the first option for me after a clean install

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

Quote:
Spybot Anti-Beacon is a standalone tool which was designed to block and stop the various tracking (telemetry) issues present in Windows 10. It has since been modified to block similar tracking functionality in Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 operating systems.

Anti-Beacon is small, simple to use, and is provided free of charge. It was created to address the privacy concerns of users of Windows 10 who do not wish to have information about their PC usage sent to Microsoft. Simply clicking “Immunize” on the main screen of Anti-Beacon will immediately disable any known tracking features included by Microsoft in the operating system.
Why Microsoft have to include a keylogger as standard in there software that reports back to them is beyond me.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote