View Single Post
Old 16-06-2008, 16:35   #9056
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection View Post
If a Website can detected the presence of Webwise, then the WebServer could politely redirect (with a small script) the user back to the Webwise system asking them to turn Webwise OFF.
There are some utils I've developed that allow you to do just that.

I need to bring this stuff back online don't I? Shame the Information Commissioner hasn't resigned yet. That would make the decision so much easier.

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
[FONT=Arial]I wrote to Brian Iddon MP, who's had a reply to his letter from Shriti Vadera (who?!) of the Department for Business Enterprise & Regulatory Reform (the what now?). According to him/her/your guess is as good as mine, "the Government is committed to ensuring that people's privacy is fully protected."
Comments?
Fully committed unless those people are web site owners who do not opt in to interception, or run unencrypted but private web servers, or expect to assert copyright over their creative work.

Which I guess would cover around 99.99% of web servers.

So my comment? That's not good enough DfBERR. Not good enough at all.

You can't build a new internet by stealing content and reselling it. You can't offer unlimited broadband because there is no such thing.

Dealing honestly with content owners, investing judiciously in your product, and being fair to end users is your only option. And ISPs seemingly can't handle that simple truth.

Pete.