View Single Post
Old 30-03-2010, 19:37   #33
jatwap
Inactive

jatwap is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 'local only' via WGR614 wireless (Virgin Cable)

ok, so bought and fitted the NIC to the PC but can't get an internet connection via Ethernet either with or without wireless Netgear router attached!?!?...

To clarify setup further;
Cable broadband box on wall hard wired to black Motorola cable modem.
Ethernet cable from internet port on modem to internet port on Netgear wireless router
(USB cable from modem to PC now removed)
Ethernet cable from LAN port 1 on Netgear wireless router to PC NIC.

This doesn't allow me to get internet access on either the PC or via wireless on the laptop (local only).

The NIC has a solid green light and is installed fine but when connected via Ethernet the motorola modem doesn't light up the 'PC/Connectivity' light which does light when connected to the PC via USB cable (this indicates a possible faulty modem?)

If I take the Netgear wireless router out of the loop (and connect the internet port on the modem directly to the PC I still can't get an internet connection on the PC (page cannot be displayed) - again, there's no 'PC/Connectivity' light on the modem when connected like this.

If I take the Ethernet cable out of the modem completely and reconnect via USB from the modem to PC it illuminates the PC/Connectivity light and internet access is fine on the PC - but I'm unable to then get wireless access for the laptop as per post#31!!!!

The virgin guy said he would send out a replacement router but I'm not 100% sure this is going to sort it - anyone any ideas/suggestions?
jatwap is offline   Reply With Quote