View Single Post
Old 16-02-2017, 17:15   #64
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation
Re: Hundreds attend protest after 3 cyclists killed on streets of London in under a w

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
i understand your points BUT if you look back to when you learnt to ride a motorbike (not sure if you had to go the CBT/MOD1/MOD2 route as i did?) it was about positioning, shoulder checks, life savers, major to minor junctions and minor to major, hazard avoidance etc. ) I see no harm in a cyclist who particularly could be using the bike in an urban high transport volume area spending half a day learning this sort of information. If only to give themselves a better chance against inconsiderate motorists.

I'm struggling (i'm tired!!) to see the difference in terms of speed and danger levels between a cyclist and a 50cc ped rider...... yet ped riders still in most cases have to do at least a CBT

Back to the protective gear thing, to me it's about minimising risk of injury. Taking cars etc out of the equation you still have things like oil/fuel spills which could cause an accident at a not inconsiderate speed.

Yup, cars endanger me most, but thats why we have combat filtering to get our own back

I think the only option is for cycles to be segregated where possible in cycle lanes that are properly maintained (not full of crud as they are now) and for cagers to understand just how exposed people on two wheels are how that be achieved I don't know
I didn't do CBT/MOD1/MOD2 and lived. If people want it fair enough but I do feel it should be optional mainly because I feel some people will be put off ever buying a bike. Mopeds are motorised vehicles, whilst bikes are not.

Protective gear - well, yes there's a balance to be drawn between safety and freedom of movement; there is also the argument that protective gear makes a rider feel safer when they are not really, but feel inclined to take bigger risks. Motorists may also wrongly judge a 'well protected' cyclist can take the odd knock or two. It is already known that motorists exercise less care near cyclists they perceive to be more experienced for example.

Segregation is the answer I agree. But I'm sure someone small, blue and chopsy will have something to say about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
.....the construction of dedicated facilities to keep cyclists out of conflict with other road users.
Prison
Midget.

Last edited by Kursk; 16-02-2017 at 17:26.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote