View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 23:56   #1064
Pbryanw
cf.addict

Services: Plusnet Fibre Broadband, Phone & TV
Pbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nice
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon
The original argument that used to be made for maintaining a public service model was that original British content would still be produced. But did the BBC make Game of Thrones, the world's most popular tv show which uses mostly British actors and staff? No. Did the BBC make THe Crown? No.
Instead we get stuff like The Night Manager, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Rillington Place, Happy Valley and nature docs like Planet Earth II. Ok, maybe they don't match the absolute best from the US, like Game of Thrones, but shows like that only come along every couple of years.

Also, if it means that I don't have to sit (or fast forward) through 15 minutes of adverts for every hour of TV programming, I'm quite happy to pay the license fee. I understand that not everyone thinks this way, but for those of us that do, it holds a place next to the NHS as institutions we want to keep as they are.
Pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote