Thread: Tivo V6 Weird TV annoyance
View Single Post
Old 21-03-2018, 13:34   #1
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Weird TV annoyance

As our old workhouse of a TV died after 10 years service last year we got a replacement. The replacement had a weird quirk that brought up the information bar momentarily every time you changed from an SD channel to an HD one and vice versa, and also when the ad breaks came up.

Eventually I deduced that the TV was bringing up the information bar because it was detecting a change in the source audio e.g.from Stereo to Dolby.

(The TV also brings up the information bar momentarily when the resolution changes but that only happens when playing games console but this isn't relevant in context of Tivo)

I eventually got around this annoyance by switching sound on original VM Tivo from Dolby to Dolby to PCM.

Now I have just got a new V6. And the problem has returned.
The weird thing is that the first day it didn't seem to be there. I hadn't changed it to Dolby to PCM as it seemed it wasn't doing it. But I awoke the box the next day and it appeared.

So I tried my solution from original Tivo...and it doesn't work, the information bar still comes up for a moment. And this time it is evwn more annoying as it comes up when you change channel every time, not just when changing from SD to HD!

Now I know this is a quirk of the TV itself, but this particular model/range doesn't allow the information bar to be switched off entirely, there are no settings that address the information bar at all.

Any ideas? Anyone else had this annoying occurance.

The reason this is so annoying is the information bar is large, black and only a little translucent and it stays on screen for approx 5 seconds. When you are fast forwarding and press play after adverts it remains blocking show.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote