Thread: Football Season 2019/2020 Football
View Single Post
Old 29-04-2020, 22:24   #788
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
Re: Season 2019/2020 Football

Depends if the games get going. Advance payments will be pushed through if not, clubs will have to swallow a loss and take on the debt, the latter is the exact reason FFP will be relaxed for about 3 seasons, to allow this to offset, essentially ensuring no top flight clubs go under.

If the games do go ahead, they'll all be fine. It's still unlikely any top flight club is going anywhere without games though.

There's an issue at play here that people are missing. The relaxing of FFP rules, which of course are necessary now for teams to survive. They apply to everyone in the same way however. Think it's coincidence the Saudi's pounced on Newcastle right now? No chance, FFP will increase the threshold of % of loss a club can make. Both Newcastle and City will have a free pass to run absolutely riot in a deflated market and there's absolutely nothing anyone can do about it. PSG will follow suit. Newcastle were facing a prospect of making a loss on paper despite having a decent positive bank balance, ultimately though Mike Ashley is wise to it. The club value will take a decent hit and he'll be left to either A) Put money in again to clear debts, adding to his existing owner loan which is interest free and thus adding to the value of the club but making it harder to sell or B) Sell now at a £50m off asking price deal before the club takes the loss and the value drops lower than this anyway if he chose to take in outside loans with interest.

Of the transfer spend in the summer, given the financial impact, I'll go out on a limb and suggest both clubs will account for up to 40% of the total spend this summer.

Ultimately I think they'll try to play these games but subsequently fail as soon as a Covid-19 infection pipes up. It's inevitable. The league had already stopped before the lock down because they struggled to keep teams out of isolation. This will happen again. For the financial side, teams that had tried and successfully made self sustaining models are about to take a decent hit. The expected lower bids for TV rights are going to have a dire effect on this too. Don't be shocked in 5 years to find a return to the top 4 era in which the elite are fairly uncatchable again.

I can't even weigh in on that debate now for obvious reasons. I will say I'm enjoying the rather glorified flip flop of Saudi state media moving from Man United to Newcastle and announcing it like it's no big deal. ''We support Newcastle now'' Gave me a decent chuckle, you'd be done in for that here.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 29-04-2020 at 22:43.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote