View Single Post
Old 10-06-2018, 13:49   #2939
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
I predict the Brextremists are first ones to moan when country is much worse off
Except that we won't be worse off because the customs issue will be shown to be the nonsense it is, we will gain the ability to forge our own trade deals, we will have a tariff free deal with the EU (that nice Mr Barnier has already conceded that), so there will be more trade, not less, and we will no longer be contributing to the EU to boot.

Where you and other naysayers get the idea we will be poorer, is frankly beyond me.

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Neither Protestants nor Catholics want a hard border in Ireland. It's more a case of identity and not religion. Google the FT article I linked to before for a better understanding of the context.

Thinking broadly, there are only three practical solutions:
1) Remain in the EU.
2) NI to become part of the Republic
3) UK or NI has an effective customs union and parts of the single market shared with the EU.

I expect you would rule out 1) and 2) just leaving 3).

The other solutions are unacceptable to the EU so even if they were practical - which they're not - the back stop ie 3) would kick in anyway.

However, as Damien and a few others have wised up to, 3) allows the EU to seamlessly and tariff-free sell us manufactured goods but we can't sell our services to them in the same way. The UK's exports are mainly services, not manufactured goods.

Pretending this is not an issue has no merit. This is not a case of religion where praying enough or believing enough matters. These are practical issues requiring practical solutions and the menu from the EU has been written many moons ago. Grand statements from BoJo won't make the problem go away. They just reveal his ongoing ignorance of detail and disrespect for the people of Ireland.
Nor do I want a hard border with Ireland. Frankly, Andrew, you need to start thinking outside the box and stop arguing that the sky is about to fall in. We will not remain within the customs union once the implementation period runs out. There would be absolutely no point in Brexit if that were to be the case.

Ask Mick, he knows about these things!