View Single Post
Old 10-06-2018, 11:59   #2930
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
How on earth do you determine what that optimum level is? You can't because this is not some planned economy without technological innovation.
Plenty of brownfield sites and closed shops that can be converted into housing. As others have explained to you - and I don't know why you turn a deaf ear to the facts - immigrants more than cover the services they use so are not a burden. Yes, a minority don't and they should be deported as legislation permits us to do.
You've not explained the process, timelines and costs behind your proposal but we're talking about a significant burden you propose to impose on British industry to solve a non-existent problem.
I was not advocating that a group of civil servants would get together and work out a formula to determine the optimum level! What are you like?

When demand and supply are more or less in balance, you will know. When we are able to meet housing needs, when the NHS is able to cope with the demands placed on it, when we can once again rely on being able to get our children into school within their catchment area - all these things and more will tell you whether we have reached an optimum level. Everyone can see that GB is creeking at the seams at the moment, and that cannot be allowed to continue.

You keep returning to this belief you seem to have that those calling for controlled immigration are dismissive of the contribution of migrants. Well, I'm certainly not, and I drew attention on an earlier post to the fantastic contribution made by the Asians who came to this country during Idi Amin's rule a few decades ago as an example.

This is not about the contribution they make, it's about the strain that over-population puts on the infrastructure of a country.

And as for your 'solution' that we should build and build and build our way out of this situation, I think you will find that most people don't want to see their countryside destroyed to accommodate more and more people. That is exactly what would happen when you run out of brownfield sites, and indeed is happening already. We have whole villages and miles of fields being destroyed in the Thames Valley to make way for huge new housing estates. We can't go on like this!

I don't see what 'burden' you think I want to see on industry. All I have said is that employers should seek to recruit people from within this country before looking overseas. We should be able to improve the prospects of our own people by training them, and that's what TM's government is all about, and is why you are seeing so much investment in apprenticeships, the new technical qualifications, etc.