View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 10:04   #2335
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit discussion

W
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
It is a weak argument to always fall back and blame the party last in power 9 years ago. The clear and present danger is the current Government and the dangerous course it has set this country on solely due to internal party politics.

We can have a long discussion on the validity of the IndyRef but let's not, it has been done to death. That said, 37% of the Electorate gambling the long term structural & economic future of the country is not a closed book.

You raise points that are I am afraid just right-wing media spin:

- housing inflation is being tackled
- austerity was caused by Labour and not the City owned sub-prime banking crisis
- (this is my favorite) immigration controls

I guess you could call IndyRef "immigration controls" but it was a crude weapon. The controls were already there but the Government choose not to use them for reasons known only to themselves.

The Tories are trying to say things that will deflect attention from the obvious failing of the current free-market system but, truth be known, their heart is not really in it is it? It can't be, they are children of Thatcher, it is in the DNA.

The evidence is mounting: the old fool Corbyn with all his dubious baggage nearly won the last election by just pointing out the obvious.

Lastly, saying "that the Conservatives are now pretty united in taking forward Brexit is credit to them." made me spit out my coffee! The veneer is paper thin.

Here's the adult approach to negotiating the future of our country when it is on the precipice:

So the fact that Labour left a financial mess for the Conservatives (as they did in 1979) isn't relevant to where we are now? I'm sorry, but that is the whole reason for the austerity measures that had to be taken. You may wish to ignore facts that are inconvenient to you, but really!

Once again, I am not blaming Labour for the sub prime issue that caused the financial crisis, of course not. But Labour with their financial mismanagement of our economy raided every budget and spent their way through every financial device they could think of. They raided our pensions, created more debt and didn't think of the consequences. When the financial crash came, there was no money available to protect us against the full impact, and the rest is history. You may try to ignore that little inconvenient truth, but this is a gentle reminder that non-Labour voters have not forgotten.

Similarly, you want to ignore the referendum, for reasons best known to yourself. It happened, and the electorate voted to leave, so get over it. I understand you might have misgivings, but throwing your toys out of the pram because it didn't go your way is not going to help and cuts no ice with me. The government are simply implementing the will of the electorate, even though some started off with a heavy heart. That is democracy in action. The EU would have had us call another referendum because it was not 'the right result', which of course would have been for 'More Europe'.

In case you haven't noticed, Theresa May is going all out to get more houses built and is now putting pressure on those developers who are holding onto land. Where I live, there are huge housing developments going on all around, and sadly destroying our countryside. This, together with lower immigration levels, will tackle house inflation, so I don't know why you can't see that.

As for the free market system, this is what brings the wealth into the country that enables us to pay for the services we receive. Imperfect it may be, but it works, unlike Communism, which has failed everywhere it has been practised. Again, Labour never tackled the abuses such as tax evasion, so they are in no position to criticise the Conservatives for their considerable efforts in trying to put this right.

Whatever you may say, Theresa May has done her best to make the Brexit decision work and she has achieved unity in her party on this issue, which is no mean feat. Which is more than Labour has done.