Thread: New Windows?
View Single Post
Old 23-12-2017, 14:38   #11
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: New Windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I still do: XP SP2 as installed. Never updated but I use third party antivirus, firewall in the router and avoiding running dodgy code. Has a load of registry tweaks and a customised command line interface (TCC LE) which is why I never did an update as these tend to muck up settings.

There IS a way of getting XP security updates until 2019 via a registry tweak. M$ have to support embedded XP until then so the trick is to make your PC look like an embedded system. These are commonly in quiz machines and similar.

When I get a new system it looks like a Linux distro will be the way to go as M$ is turning into big brother. Fortunately the CAD tools I need use are becoming available on the Linux platform (at last!) and the older DOS stuff will run in a VM sandbox.
My problem is that Elite Dangerous the main game i play will only run correctly on Microsh$t. If i could run it on Linux i would have moved away from windows a long time ago. I cannot abide the way windows is used to spy on you, They try to force all there stuff on you like edge, cortana, Bing and adverts. Thankfully i use software to stop most of it.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer

Last edited by Sirius; 23-12-2017 at 14:45.
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote