View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 21:00   #356
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Huge fire at West London tower block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Could any Council have truly been prepared to cope with such a tragedy?
In days gone by councils were required to make provision for the after effects of a nuclear war, what hope does this council have if they can't​ even cope with this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
People keep (conveniently) forgetting that those issues were with the council staff which has nothing to do with the councillors. How many of those staff would be union members and Corbyn supporters? The term "5th columnist" springs to mind.
Ultimately, councillors are expected to appoint competent management, who in turn are expected to employ competent staff to run services on a day to day basis.

In my experience, local authority managers are unable to manage their way out of a paper bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Yup, as awful as this is we don't and can't have contingency plans which cater fully for every eventuality. This was a massive event which has left hundreds of people homeless simultaneously and it was never going to be possible to house them all quickly and in suitable permanent accommodation in the same local area.

I think a lot of people in politics, the media and the legal profession especially need to stop fanning the flames and reconcile their anger with what happened and sympathy for the victims with the reality that no local authority anywhere would have been able to cope with a disaster of this scale. Frankly I'm astonished that our armed forces weren't called into assist given the role they've played in countless disaster situations around the world but maybe that was a political decision.

The victims too need to be realistic. I've heard several complaining about the lack of information they've been getting and the length of time the forensic investigation is taking. This is despite them being told quite clearly that experts are having to search through tonnes of charred remains on every floor by hand, trying to find even the smallest traces of DNA through which to identify those who've perished. I really don't understand why these residents just can't seem to grasp the huge nature of this task and the precision with which it has to be undertaken if the police are going to be able to identify everyone. I don't see what more anyone could realisitically be doing right now.
Some victims insisted that they wanted to stay in the same area, citing such soundbites as "local support network". When they were offered somewhere, they turned it down on the grounds that they didn't want to have sight of the burned out flats!!!
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote