View Single Post
Old 25-05-2016, 14:02   #948
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, good article, bringing out the point that linear TV channels will have to re-invent themselves to survive. I'm not sure how they will do this in order to retain sufficient viewers, which is why I have been pessimistic about their ability survive. Maybe one of the answers is more interactive programmes so that viewers can participate, which you cannot do with on demand.

Where I disagree with the item is the assertion that live tv can only be broadcast via linear tv channels. We have discussed already the fact that live tv can be streamed.

Talking of which....

http://www.csimagazine.com/csi/Faceb...ball-match.php
A stream dedicated to live programming *is* a linear TV channel, OB. You keep doing semantic back-flips in order to try to claim it's something that it's not, because aside from all other arguments about power consumption, bandwidth availability and viewer habits, this one fact is the one that comprehensively demonstrates your original predictions must be false.

It makes no difference whether the broadcast is over terrestrial, satellite, coaxial cable or IP. A live channel, requiring by its nature a schedule, is a linear channel.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote