View Single Post
Old 04-05-2016, 15:49   #913
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post

Moving on to your drastically changed point, if the bulk viewing of linear TV viewing moves to online streaming (which it may well do) and it is cheaper for businesses to run, then, as you have said, linear TV channels will still be operating. If linear TV channels are still operating, and Sky etc are not dead (which you have said they won't be - I fully agree that they will), they will be able to extend there advertizing online, be able to run cheaper linear TV channels on line and offer a lower price point for customers on can't afford Sky currently, but want more than now tv can offer. As such, they can get more money from on line subscribers, and also advertizers. When this happens, people will still be watching conventional broadcast channels, and will be able to continue to do so, because the extra revenue gained from online profits, will be able to offset some of the potential losses from conventional tv channels. Even you wish to disregard the thought of online subsidizing conventional, if the bulk of viewing linear tv moves online, the viewership will still be the same, and as a result, the ad revenues wont change, thus no need for the channels to die.

Which ever way you wish to skin this particular cat, conventional broadcast will still be around in 20 years. More importantly, your many, many assumptions, which have mutated drastically, are still deeply flawed.
OB, I am sorry my incredibly long posts (which yours never are, obviously) are too much for you, as you said in your last response to me, perhaps you would actually like to discuss the topic you have been desperate for us all to talk about. So let's discuss my quote you have not yet discussed, and discuss that only. After all, the less drivel you write, the less I have to respond to, and as a result there will be shorter posts.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote