View Single Post
Old 17-03-2016, 08:24   #1575
mart44
Inactive

mart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Microsoft is possibly putting the pressure on because they don't want to support several different operating systems at the same time, as they have traditionally done. I don't think any other company has done that have they? As far as I know, Apple only has one Desktop system that they upgrade or update? True there are lots of different Linux versions available but these aren't all supplied and maintained by the same company. It seems only Microsoft has offered support for older operating systems (often for years) when newer ones have been released. It now looks like they want to change all that and only have to support one upgradable OS. Maybe that's an understandable goal.

There's probably no stopping the momentum now. Those into computers may get upset by the (almost) forced upgrades but most people will just upgrade to Windows 10 or get it pre-installed with new computers. Perhaps not very likely to be worried about its workings as long as it runs their programs without trouble.

I've now accepted Windows 10 and it certainly runs OK for me, as do all the programs installed on it. This wasn't the case when I first tried it but a later clean installation (rather than an upgrade) has produced a reliable and stable OS.

I'm unsure about W.10 privacy issues. I realise many take exception to data being gathered on principle, or feel that it is actually harmful ..and that's fair enough but are computers really being monitored for spying purposes? Windows 10 is installed on millions of computers now and the numbers are rising. Are Microsoft going to be interested in me personally (one in all those millions) and take a look at the way I'm using the computer? Is it more likely is that they are using everyone's data collectively to see what programs are being used, if they cause any problems and if people are experiencing any bugs?

The Windows 10 debate had lead me to install Linux Mint 17.3 on a spare computer. I agree that it makes a pretty fair alternative for those upset with Microsoft. I don't think I'd make Mint my main OS because I use a number of Windows programs that have been paid for. However, there are equivalent Linux programs that work OK, so making more use of Linux isn't entirely out of the question.
mart44 is offline   Reply With Quote