View Single Post
Old 11-03-2016, 10:53   #2787
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society
Re: Moans and Pet Hates part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
My own stupidity..

I've borrowed a MacBook Pro from work, and been using it. All of a sudden, the keyboard backlight stopped working in OS X. It still worked in Windows, so I backed up the OS x install, reinstalled it and restored the data.

The backlight still didn't work, so looked up the problem and found a possible solution was to reset the System Management Controller. Did this with no effect. Then I turned the brightness up..
This is why IT dept default response to everything is "Have you tried turning it off and on again".

Never go nuclear first, try the easy stuff first. I say this with plenty of experience doing similar things and tearing my hair out over things with easy fixes!

---------- Post added at 10:53 ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 ----------

Also a slight moan today although not exactly the fault of VM:

Woke up this morning to no internet, tried the TiVO and no signal there too.

Went to work and checked the VM service status and found a local fault. Fair enough, until I saw the reason. Someone decided that they wanted to have a close encounter with a local cabinet. No doubt because of the very heavy fog this morning but going by the damage it was either a van/HGV or someone going way too fast in a residential area, in visibility that was less than 20m.
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote