View Single Post
Old 02-04-2015, 19:54   #1498
tassiekev
Inactive

tassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the rough
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
So my contract comes to a end in August and I am now looking at alternatives for TV. This week I purchased a nexus Player and installed Kodi, quite impressed with the Kodi side of things but less impressed with netflix only offering two channel sound and no 5.1.

I think tomorrow I will get a fire TV and do the same with installing Kodi. One will go in the living room and one in the bedroom. I think the Fire TV will be the bedroom box as it has access to both Netflix and Amazon Instant.

The Nexus will live in the living room and I think both my popcorn hours can then be retired.

But this now leaves a gap for apps for TV, my Ariel is rubbish so looking for TV via IP, will be an interesting few months.
Don't know if the Nexus is the same as the Fire but I learned the hard way that the Fire only puts out 5.1 via HDMI - not Optical. I wanted to use Optical because I've been using an LG Bluray with 5.1 speaker system as an amp and it doesn't have HDMI in. Long story short, ended up buying a Portta 4x2 HDMI switcher with Optical out and that does the trick by extracting audio from the HDMI.

Passingbat (member on here) has given me some excellent advice and I've now purchased a Pioneer amp & 5.1 speaker system - hoping to be fully operation by the end of Easter.