View Single Post
Old 19-04-2014, 16:27   #157
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Central locking on the drivers side.

Attachment 25373

The units (made by Rockwell) play up every few years and it's usually muck on the commutator of the small electric motor inside. Not this time though - the spring on one of the brushes had broken at one end and the brush had fallen out. Bit of careful fettling of the remains and the motor now runs fine.

Gave it a shot of engineers' magic spray to keep it happy and refitted.

Fixing them takes no time at all but taking off and refitting the door furniture and card takes ages.
Odd you should mention that. For the last few years, the driver's side door lock on my car has been getting a bit hesitant during the cold weather and not opening/locking properly when the key has been turned. Until recently a few squirts of WD40 have sorted it out but even though it's now much warmer out, the door will no longer double lock on the second turn of the key and sometimes when I unlock the car the alarm sounds.

Anyway I've just fixed the leaking flexible connection running to the basin cold tap in our downstairs bathroom. It's obviously been leaking for ages because there was all sorts of calcium deposits built up on the hose, the connections and the copper supply pipe. Luckily the built in isolating valve I put in years ago still works so I didn't have to turn all the water off while I fiddled with it. A good soak in vinegar and a new washer seem to have done the trick but I'll be keeping an eye out for any leaks over the next few days. Good job I had one of those basin spanners...
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote