View Single Post
Old 26-05-2012, 20:48   #694
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough
Re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar View Post
I'm confused. How does the DISHNetworks vs Verizon/Comcast and all the others lawsuit have any bearing on how things are in the UK?
Because once they get their precedent in one country it ripples through. Do you really not think that if this gets upheld in the US it won't become 'law' in other countries? But the real point is that these people see just about everything as breaking copyright law (hence my joke about making a cuppa during adverts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar View Post
The UK does not follow US law, nor does the US judicial system have any jurdistriction over the UK.
Tell that to Richard O'Dwyer.

This is another good example of copyright law stifling innovation.

As to how content creators get paid for the TV they produce that has always been a problem with new technology and it's up to them to figure it out not get laws changed to protect the business model they alredy have.

Perhaps they should start by looking at wages. Did Charlie Sheen really need to be paid $1,000,000 per episode of Two and a Half Men (TAAHM)? At it's peak, a 30 second advert during an episode of TAAHM would cost advertisers $650,000. So, 8 minutes of adverts during each episode we are talking around $10,000.000. And before I get the obligatory that's the exception let's not forget Hugh Laurie gets $700,000 per episode of House. So Hugh Laurie earned $123,000,000 ( $123 million ) dollars for 8 years work. The sad truth is, it's more than a real person who theoretically actually had the skills of Dr. Gregory House would earn in his/her lifetime and probably a few other lifetimes.
_wtf_ is offline   Reply With Quote