View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 14:57   #4780
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Re: The Happy Thought Thread Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
The truth is always out there. Mandatory registration in France began in the 1790s but you may get back to the C17th or possibly as early as the C14th from parish registers if you're lucky (and if your ancestors didn't move around a lot). Your Jones will be tricky but by no means impossible I've found all kinds on my mam's: bigamists, vagabonds, drunken Irishmen locked up in Strangeways and three bishops

Haven't done much on my dad's side as I'll have to go to Warsaw and probably Kiev to rifle through the records bearing in mind where he came from and the fact that I have an unusual Ukrainian name. I've been in touch with a Ukrainian historian and she said it originates from a distinct cultural group along the Desna river on the NE border in the dark age period.
We have a few Black Sheep in the family as well. My late father was the main researcher of our family and he was interested by the fact his family on both sides came over from France to Cornwall as tin miners and that they had then moved north into coal mining. Mind, he wasn't well pleased that he had French ancestors. Dang foreigners!! His words not mine.