View Single Post
Old 13-03-2012, 18:08   #37
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: UK nuclear plans 'put energy in French hands'Government plans for nuclear power r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
Have you ever lived on the top of a hill in the middle of the Pennines? It's not very often that there is no wind. And the same goes for off shore.

Wind power isn't the only alternative.

In my town there used to be a remote controlled gas turbine generator, that was only used when it was really needed.

---------- Post added at 17:23 ---------- Previous post was at 17:22 ----------

And then kill the sea life with radiation.

The Irish sea is the most radioactive sea in the world thanks to Sellafield.
IIRC too much wind is also a problem for these turbines - they only work in a certain range of conditions.

As for the Irish sea, you are talking about very old technology there and things have moved on a tad since Windscale was built. Of course there are risks associated with the nuclear option but there are benefits too. Sadly, for the reasons I mentioned before, I don't think we're in much of a position to choose now.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote