View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 08:20   #183
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: TalkTalk tracking you, phorm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
which when combined with the fact huawei have systems patented that categorise webpages, and the fact the IP address used intiailly to follow people was the radius servers what more do you want?

and yes ignitionnet i am aware you can have multiple machine share the same IP so long as they do not share the same port id, but in my experience it would be odd to have something like a radius server nat'ed behind a firewall etc
Done much with load balancers recently? Maybe implemented the odd Virtual IP?

Yes they categorise webpages. Given TalkTalk's announcement they wish to use this stuff to implement parental control and that they have already announced that they are taking reports of the categories of sites visited by this hardware that's not really that surprising either.

If TT's intention is to spy on their userbase they can use their in-line DPI hardware, which is already integrated with their RADIUS for AUP-enforcement purposes.

The Huawei unit is a standalone piece of hardware. TalkTalk's announcement's and Huawei's product range confirm this. TalkTalk don't use Huawei's RADIUS server options which isn't surprising given they're intended for mobile networks.

Occam's Razor remains your friend however it probably isn't too strong a force against pre-conceived notions from over 6 weeks ago. I only mentioned you specifically as being a virtualisation / DC guy you should know better than to think public IP addresses mean anything and probably do, but we all have the tendency to see what we want to see.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote