View Single Post
Old 16-12-2008, 22:16   #68
sk8er_boi6000
Inactive

sk8er_boi6000 has a spectacular aura about themsk8er_boi6000 has a spectacular aura about themsk8er_boi6000 has a spectacular aura about themsk8er_boi6000 has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Virgin Media to dump neutrality and target BitTorrent users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
Oh, I dunno, maybe something to do with the small matter of gaming traffic being extremely time sensitive and latency being pretty damn important with it?

Your p2p traffic can wait, it doesn't matter if it has a trip time of 500ms, with gaming traffic it does.

Feel free to ditch your service. You'll struggle to find an ISP that doesn't traffic shape and has no intention of doing so, especially as more and more people start using bandwidth heavy applications.
Latency is not affected by the amount of traffic generated by other users, it is affected by your distance from the machine that you are in contact with. STM is not going to improve that situation, if a machine is 500 miles away from you it will still be 500 miles away when Virgin throttle my connection. The only possible way for bandwidth usage to slow down your gaming would be if everyone on an exchange hammered it at exactly the same time, which is extremely unlikely to happen.

Irregardless, I am paying the same for my connection as any other customer, therefore the reason for your bandwidth use does not give you right of way.

Also, you are wrong, o2 and BE still don't cap their connections yet.
sk8er_boi6000 is offline   Reply With Quote