View Single Post
Old 28-08-2008, 21:18   #43
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
Re: Football : Season 08/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK View Post
Dimitar Berbatov's agent is in London for crisis talks as the player attempts to force a move to Manchester United from Tottenham, BBC Sport understands.
The London club are threatening to let Berbatov "rot in the reserves", according to reports

Link

I remember people in the media, and on this site as well, slateing Ferguson when reports came out saying that Ronaldo would be left in the reserves rather than be sold to Madrid. I wonder if they will come out now and call Ramos and Levy "spiteful" and a "bully" like they did with Ferguson, i highly doubt it.
If it were a like-for-like situation then I would agree with you. Levy isn't exactly well loved amongst the Spurs fan community as he was smirking in the stand whilst firing our much loved, respected, and arguably most successful manager in decades (2 points/1 place from CL place beats Carling Cup in most people's minds), by text message, mid-match, after weeks of undermining his position. He's more interested in counting Joe Lewis's beans than improving Spurs as a club.

However, its not the same. He wasn't dropped as punishment for requesting a transfer, he was dropped because He requested not to play and was fined a week's wages for it. Also noone on the team wants to play with him (1, 2.) For players to turn on another player like that, is quite rare and says quite a lot about how Berbatov must be behaving behind closed doors.

Also, United didn't want to sell Ronaldo out of spite. Real were willing to pay, or do, anything to secure him. We are happy to grant Berbatov his transfer. Ramos and Poyet have also made it clear in interviews that they are also willing to reverse that should Berbatov actually want to play for us. However, it is not unreasonable to request that your lot cough up a sensible amount of money for him for him first. If Tevez is worth £32m, then Berbatov is worth more than £20m. Also another stumbling block is that Ferguson won't apologise for what he's done wrong. Again, not an unreasonable request when Ferguson soley is the cause of his unsettlement in the first place.

---------- Post added at 21:18 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

Also, Spurs are flying out to Monaco to meet with United and thrash out a last minute deal. Again, that's far from the angle that Levy is trying to ruin Berbatov's career out of spite, like the Glazers and Ferguson was happy to do.