View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 16:18   #2416
amateria
Inactive

amateria has a spectacular aura about themamateria has a spectacular aura about themamateria has a spectacular aura about themamateria has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevans View Post
Sorry I'm a bit late back to the party, Portly-Giraffe, but I've also been doing some thinking...here's what I wrote:

Is any of it any use to you? I realise it's rather simplistic, but I was aiming for the same writing style as the FAQs on Phorm's Webwise site (or at least, the way they were written the last time I visited before blocking the entire domain!)
Looks good to me. I would add that Phorm is not just reading the websites you visit, but all the data you send to websites is read - which could include sending emails, posting in forums and details of orders sent as part of shopping online. Phorm say thy don't keep this data, but your ISP reads it, to decide whether to strip out sensitive information. We have no way of knowing how safe this stripping out is.

Also, I'm not sure I would call Phorm a new element of the internet. That is exactly how Phorm would like us to see it, but it is not part of the internet, but a wart on the side, a parasite. Perhaps it is "a new surveillance technology, aimed at ordinary people". That is an accurate description which puts a different complexion on what Phorm would like to do.