View Single Post
Old 17-01-2008, 01:51   #25
grabbi
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP, 42", DVD Rec, Xbox, PS2, 360, FreeSat.
grabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud of
Re: Virgin VoD vs. Sky Anytime - Content

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
My opinions? Both have good points, and both have problems.

VM's pros are conveniance, and amount of content (especially if you don't mind paying). Also, quick (sometimes near instant) access to everything.

cons: The service *can* be unreliable. As pointed out above, it can cause crashes. There are also problems with some programmes being missed. Major pain in the behind there. Especially if you are following a serial. Also, the service doesn't currently include ITV (not a major problem for me, but a lot of people do watch it).

Now, I can't comment too much on Sky Anytime, as I haven't used it much, but here is my opinion.

Pros: Includes every channel you subscribe to.

cons: Uses up half your hard drive space. Anything you want to watch that isn't on the hard drive requires you to start up your PC, and download it from their P2P service (which may take a while).
I agree with the Virgin stuff, to a tee. It is unreliable (especially at night) but the content is really good and keeps coming.

I want to stress that I didnt create this to slag off any company.

If Im honest, I did it for myself also, to see how much money Im saving/a better deal etc. And Im quite happy to see those highlighted in this.

I think, also, that it was right to move it to the Sky forum. It is about Sky's content (or lack there-of).

It does come down to both having strong points and weak points. But in this day and age, with IPTV (Vision and Tiscali) coming into the VoD market, I think we all need to be aware of where we can get a better deal.

I hope I managed to stay un-biased because, at the end of the day, I dont hate Sky, and Love Virgin.

They are TV Companies that offer stuff to customers... and I dont want to see myself get overpriced etc, and that is why, if I could, I would do one for BT and Tiscali, on content.

Unfortunatly, Ive looked, and cant really find much information. Plus they are only early players. Personally, I see Sky being 4th in that market now, simply because of the lack of technology for Sky to offer this service, something I feel for Sky Subs. because VoD is definetly the future.

---------- Post added at 01:51 ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 ----------

And the ITV content... I believe that is needed on all platforms, as should BBC content and others.

Maybe a takeover would make that happen. And to add that to the VMTV Portfolio would give Cable that edge. Then, to make money, a profit, offer to other companies, and also get the company in other companies good books, so they can deal in future friendly.
grabbi is offline   Reply With Quote