Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   300M : Possible throttling (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704981)

alanbjames 05-06-2017 14:01

Possible throttling

Has anyone else here had experiences with VM possibly throttling their connection?

The reason i ask is yesterday i was backing up some data, uploading to the cloud and downloading to external drives so i had 2 backups of everything thats important.

Over a 6hour period i downloaded around 36GB and uploaded around 6.4GB at around 1.1GB per hour making sure i didnt hit the cap.

After this my connection was like a slug, i rebooted both router and hub leaving it off for over 10 mins as something came up while i switched it off that i needed to deal with. When doing a speed test i was getting full speed but connection was really slow and i couldnt get over 16mb/s on downloads.

This morning now after having hub and router off all night my connection is once again good and dandy. Is this just a one off or something others have experienced i wonder?

Thanks.

Mr K 05-06-2017 14:49

Re: Possible throttling

thank God for that, thought it was an issue for the police...

alanbjames 08-06-2017 00:34

Again this evening i have had the same difficulty.

Since around ten past 5 upto around 11 i have downloaded 18.8GB and uploaded 4.9GB and my speed is almost half, i have once again rebooted hub and router and speed remains the same, either they are throttling and not admitting or theres an oversubscription issue, i will ring them in the morning.

Gobble 08-06-2017 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 35902120)
Again this evening i have had the same difficulty.

Since around ten past 5 upto around 11 i have downloaded 18.8GB and uploaded 4.9GB and my speed is almost half, i have once again rebooted hub and router and speed remains the same, either they are throttling and not admitting or theres an oversubscription issue, i will ring them in the morning.

VM Throttle upload when you breach a certain threshold, they do not throttle download. Setup a TBB monitor and you'll soon see if you're experiencing utilisation.

Actually... I might be wrong, but I think the 300 doesn't have any restrictions on upload, but you're best asking someone like BenMcr to confirm that.

General Maximus 09-06-2017 00:16

yup, 300mbit is unmanaged so I would let them shoot themselves in the foot and say you uploaded too much and triggered stm and then ask them how you managed to trigger it when there is no policy in place.

Quote:

To see in detail how our traffic management works in practice:
•If you have 30Mbps unlimited broadband or above* click here
•If you have 20Mbps unlimited broadband or below* click here

*Traffic Management doesn't apply to VIVID 200 Gamer or VIVID 300.
https://help.virginmedia.com/system/...agement-policy

If it keeps happening I would start running some tests to prove that stm is kicking in once you have uploaded x amount in 1 hour. There definitely isn't any restriction on the downstream so you need to work out if there is something like a 5gb/hour cap on the stream and then it drops down to 50%.
To be fair and balanced though, I think stm operates between 1600-2300 on week days so you should also do whatever it is you are doing during the day because if the same things happens then it isn't peak time traffic management.
Another forum user quite eloquently pointed out in another thread that two upstream channels = 54mbits of upload speed for your entire area and you want to use 30mbits by yourself so I wouldn't be surprised if that drops down to 8-10mbits or so in the evening tbh. You would assume that that is 75% stm reduction kicking in but it is just peak time congestion on your local network segment.

rtho782 09-06-2017 16:28

Vivid 300 is 22mbit up not 30.

General Maximus 09-06-2017 16:49

my bad, I thought it was 300/30 but still the same problem though, there is no way you are going to be able to have half of the total upstream bandwidth available to your entire area during peak time. Just think how many people are going to be using catcup services on Sky, streaming stuff on Netflix/youtube and playing games.

alanbjames 09-06-2017 22:12

I have some more stuff to do the weekend so i will leave u know.

kalleh 10-06-2017 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35902524)
my bad, I thought it was 300/30 but still the same problem though, there is no way you are going to be able to have half of the total upstream bandwidth available to your entire area during peak time. Just think how many people are going to be using catcup services on Sky, streaming stuff on Netflix/youtube and playing games.

Thats not his problem though is it thats a VM problem? I have a 'upto' quoted upload of 20mbit Which I get 19.3 24/7 regardless of how much data is used.

The fact that people are willing to accept these excuses are the reason no real investment is put into broadband within the UK.

General Maximus 10-06-2017 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalleh (Post 35902643)
I get 19.3 24/7 regardless of how much data is used.

no you don't. Some areas like mine are excellent for low utilisation and I can always get my full upload during the day no problem and in the evening right up and till I hit that magical number and it drops down to 50% or whatever it is now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalleh (Post 35902643)
The fact that people are willing to accept these excuses are the reason no real investment is put into broadband within the UK.

It's not an excuse, it is the nature of how the technology works. There are x amount of channels providing x amount of bandwidth which is "shared" by x amount of people. If you don't like it move away from HFC and over to an Openreach provider.

kalleh 10-06-2017 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35902651)
no you don't. Some areas like mine are excellent for low utilisation and I can always get my full upload during the day no problem and in the evening right up and till I hit that magical number and it drops down to 50% or whatever it is now.

It's not an excuse, it is the nature of how the technology works. There are x amount of channels providing x amount of bandwidth which is "shared" by x amount of people. If you don't like it move away from HFC and over to an Openreach provider.

I did and thats how I receive my speeds in peak times and manage to have a low latency without massive jitter.

I have no issues with VM if their service suited my needs i'd have it but when you advertise a gamer Package which does nothing for 'Gamers' I find it absurd.

alanbjames 11-06-2017 00:20

again it happened this afternoon, downloaded 19.2GB between 2:10pm and about 6pmish
In this time also uploaded around 3.8GB.

my connection after this was around half than what it should be. I will be ringing on Monday to see whats happening.

General Maximus 11-06-2017 12:33

interesting. I deliberately cap my uploads at 500k/sec during peak time so I don't hit the stm threshold but I might run some hourly speed tests this afternoon just to see if it says I can still get my full 12mbits. I know I don't get affected during the week because if I away from my pc I know it gladly uploads at 1.4MB/sec all day and I limit after 1700 so I can play my games etc.

alanbjames 19-06-2017 14:26

Well i spoke to Virgin about this and apparently it was down to over subscription that was fixed last friday. Now we did have a 4hour outage last friday so im gonna give them the benefit of the doubt and try again in the next few days to see what happens.