Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Dashcam - how to extend the 12v power lead. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705184)

Osem 26-07-2017 21:19

Dashcam - how to extend the 12v power lead.

Treated her ladyship to a nice new dashcam which we're delighted with except that the supplied 2m 12v power lead is about a foot shorter than it needs to be to site the camera where we'd like behind the rear view mirror. The connection to the camera looks like the old mini b usb type connector so could I just ditch the supplied cable and buy a longer extension lead of the right type? She already has a 12v phone charger socket which has a lead plus an additional full size female USB socket so would it be OK to plug the dashcam lead into this socket? Alternatively could I use something like this to extend the supplied cable?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mini-Extens...xtension+cable

TIA as always. :tu:

weenie 26-07-2017 22:23

Re: Dashcam - how to extend the 12v power lead.

Osem what hubby did for me was bought this don't know if this will be of help. What we also bought was a cigarette thing as our USB thing is in the center cubby thing. Don't know what you call these so I thought thing would do ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-MINI-US...item2817fca62e

Osem 26-07-2017 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35909365)
Osem what hubby did for me was bought this don't know if this will be of help. What we also bought was a cigarette thing as our USB thing is in the center cubby thing. Don't know what you call these so I thought thing would do ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-MINI-US...item2817fca62e

Cheers weenie, I've taken a chance and ordered something just like that.

Taf 27-07-2017 11:46

I fitted one for a mate by cutting the cable and connecting it to the interior light which was directly behind the rear view mirror. You have to be careful where you site it though as it can be classed a Zone A obstruction of the windscreen.

Osem 27-07-2017 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35909409)
I fitted one for a mate by cutting the cable and connecting it to the interior light which was directly behind the rear view mirror. You have to be careful where you site it though as it can be classed a Zone A obstruction of the windscreen.

Yup, hence our desire to hide it behind the rear view mirror. It's quite frightening how many people I see driving along with their sat navs, phones or whatever stuck right in the middle of their windscreens. These would be the same folk who turn left into a field because the sat nav told them to... Idiots!

Taf 27-07-2017 14:56

Mine sits quite happily in the gap between the visor and the roof.

Osem 27-07-2017 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35909467)
Mine sits quite happily in the gap between the visor and the roof.

I've fitter extra large panoramic mirrors in our cars so there's plenty of space behind them to hide cameras and the cabling can be tucked out of sight behind the interior trim.

Hom3r 27-07-2017 20:03

I mounted my Dashcam behind the mirror, but I can see the screen if required.

I wrap the cable around the mirror in-case the suction fails and won't set the alarm off.

I then run under the roof trim around the pillar an lift the door seal and pish it in there then near the bottom I channel it so it goes under the glovebox, (mine has trim which I put it behind, then I push the cable under the bottom of the centre console, then in to a switch box I have.

Took about 15mins to make it look tidy.

Osem 27-07-2017 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35909511)
I mounted my Dashcam behind the mirror, but I can see the screen if required.

I wrap the cable around the mirror in-case the suction fails and won't set the alarm off.

I then run under the roof trim around the pillar an lift the door seal and pish it in there then near the bottom I channel it so it goes under the glovebox, (mine has trim which I put it behind, then I push the cable under the bottom of the centre console, then in to a switch box I have.

Took about 15mins to make it look tidy.

I'll be doing something very similar when I get my extension lead.

weenie 28-07-2017 13:52

That's what hubby done once the lead came in Osem.

Qtx 28-07-2017 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35909448)
Yup, hence our desire to hide it behind the rear view mirror. It's quite frightening how many people I see driving along with their sat navs, phones or whatever stuck right in the middle of their windscreens. These would be the same folk who turn left into a field because the sat nav told them to... Idiots!

My Satnav/phone is stuck to the right of the window (magnetic type) and I find it so much safer than the type that go in the centre console or centre of dash. The quick glance to the side means eyes are still on the road, rather than the other positions, which I also tried. Tend to be looking away from the road more with the other positions. Unless you try it, you won't understand it completely, but trust me when I say a phone stuck to the window at the side is much safer!

I use a navigation map app called Sygic which also has a kind of dashcam built in. It will record like a dashcam and overwrite it's video every 5 minutes unless it detects a crash and will also write gps data in to the video so it can be used as evidence of being at a location too.

Another nice feature is it has a Heads Up Display that you can use for night driving which projects (reflects) the directions, current speed and speed limits on to your windscreen, so no need to take eyes off the road at all. Works quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SifFC8pJQoE

Osem 28-07-2017 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtx (Post 35909686)
My Satnav/phone is stuck to the right of the window (magnetic type) and I find it so much safer than the type that go in the centre console or centre of dash. The quick glance to the side means eyes are still on the road, rather than the other positions, which I also tried. Tend to be looking away from the road more with the other positions. Unless you try it, you won't understand it completely, but trust me when I say a phone stuck to the window at the side is much safer!

I use a navigation map app called Sygic which also has a kind of dashcam built in. It will record like a dashcam and overwrite it's video every 5 minutes unless it detects a crash and will also write gps data in to the video so it can be used as evidence of being at a location too.

Another nice feature is it has a Heads Up Display that you can use for night driving which projects (reflects) the directions, current speed and speed limits on to your windscreen, so no need to take eyes off the road at all. Works quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SifFC8pJQoE

I have an ageing TomTom satnav which I use occasionally. When I do, I too have it stuck on the extreme right hand side of the windscreen close to the door pillar where it doesn't interfere with my view of the road and only requires a quick glance every so often. I like the idea of a heads up display at night so might explore that avenue as I start to use my phone to navigate more often.

Osem 02-08-2017 19:21

Got the new cable earlier and it's done the trick nicely. The dashcam is now behind the rear view mirror and the cabling all tucked away nicely. :)

weenie 02-08-2017 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35910445)
Got the new cable earlier and it's done the trick nicely. The dashcam is now behind the rear view mirror and the cabling all tucked away nicely. :)

:) :tu: